Department of Labor and Industry

Montana Construction Contractor

Welcome to the Montana Department of Labor and Industry. The following links will take you either to the Independent Contractor Central Unit (ICCU) or to the Construction Contractor Registration Unit (CR).

Independent Contractor Central Unit (ICCU)

IC application (non refundable fee) form is available online. The ICCU has two primary functions. The first is to issue Independent Contractor Exemption Certificates and the second is the determination of worker status (independent contractor or employee) at the request of participating programs. On the ICCU site you will find landmark court cases, independent contractor definitions, ICCU news, and brochures online. You will also find contact information for ICCU, as well as forms and applications to print. 

Construction Contractor Registration Unit (CR)

CR application form is available online. The CR registers construction contractors that have employees, corporations and manager-managed limited liability companies. This law was mandated by the 1995 Legislature to ensure that all construction contractors with employees are paying Montana rates for workers' compensation insurance. In this site you will be able to search for registered construction contractors or register as a construction contractor.


• Just because an independent contractor or construction contractor is registered with our Department does not mean that they are licensed, bonded, or tested.
• Registrations only ensure applicants are in compliance with Montana's workers' compensation laws and do not imply quality assurance.

Additional Information

• We participate in several home shows around the state. If you would like us to come to your area please contact us.
• We are also available for meetings and educational presentations.
• Your organization may request up to a quantity of 50 brochures to be mailed or picked up.
• If you have any suggestions to help us improve what we do, please let us know.

Contact Information

• Independent Contractor Central Unit - (406) 444-9029
• Construction Contractor Registration Unit - (406) 444-0563
• Supervisor/ Program Manager - Dallas Cox - (406) 444-9586

If you are not in the Helena area and need to speak to someone in person for assistance, please visit your local Job Service Workforce Center.

Mailing Address:
Construction Contractor Registration Unit and/or
Independent Contractor Central Unit
PO Box 8011
Helena, MT  59604-8011

Physical Location (in Helena for overnight mailing and same day processing for walk-in customers):
1805 Prospect Ave
Helena, MT  59601