01. Acid, Chemicals - Includes hydrochloric acid, sulfuric acid, battery acid, and methanol and antifreeze.
02. Contact with Hot Objects or Substances - In cases where contact with a specific hot object occurs; does not include steam or hot fluids.
03. Temperature Extremes - Applies to non-impact injuries resulting in a burn due to hot or cold temperature extremes; includes freezing or frostbite.
04. Fire or Flame - Burns to the skin as a result of exposure to fire not caused by an explosion.
05. Steam or Hot Fluids - Contact with steam or hot fluids.
06. Dust, Gases, Fumes, or Vapors - Includes inhalation of carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide, propane, methane, silica (quartz), and asbestos dust. Includes smoke inhalation.
07. Welding Operations - Includes welder's flash, burns to skin or eyes as a result of exposure to intense light from welding.
08. Radiation - Includes effects of ionizing radiation found in X-rays, microwaves, nuclear reactor waste, and radiating substances and equipment. Also includes non-ionizing radiation such as sunburn.
09 Contact With, NOC - Burned or scalded by contact with heat or cold but exact injury is not discernable on First Report of Injury or is Not Otherwise Classified in any other code; may include injury due to cleaning agents, fertilizers, etc.
11. Contact with Cold Objects or Substances - In cases where contact with a specific cold object or substance occurs; does not include freezing or frostbite.
14. Abnormal Air Pressure - Burn or scald injury caused by exposure to abnormal air pressure.
84. Electrical Current - Burn or scald injury from electric shock, electrocution, lightning, etc.
10. Machine or Machinery - Running or meshing objects, a moving and a stationary object, two or more moving objects (not necessarily a machine).
12. Object Handled - May include medical hospital bed & parts, wheelchair, clothespin, vise etc.
13. Caught In, Under or Between, NOC - Not Otherwise Classified; "Caught between" codes do not apply when the source of injury is a flying or falling object.
20. Collapsing Materials (Slides of Earth) - Slides of earth, collapse of buildings, etc. Either manmade or natural.
15. Broken Glass - Cut or puncture caused by the handling of broken glass.
16. Hand Tool, Utensil; Not Powered - Includes injury caused by needle, pencil, knife, hammer, saw, axe, screwdriver, etc.
17. Object Being Lifted or Handled - Includes being cut, punctured or scraped by a person or object being lifted or handled; not including powered hand tools, appliances, utensils or broken glass.
18. Powered Hand Tool; Appliance - Includes injury caused by drill, grinder, sander, iron, blender, welding tools, etc.
19. Cut, Puncture, Scrape, NOC - Includes injury by power actuated tools such as a gun.
25. From Different Level - Fall to a lower level from a higher level; includes collapsing chairs, falling from piled materials, etc.
26. From Ladder or Scaffolding - Fall to a lower level from a ladder or scaffolding.
27. From Liquid or Grease Spills - Fall to the same or a lower level as a result of slipping in a liquid or grease spill.
28. Into Openings - Fall or slip into opening i.e. mining shafts, holes in the floor, elevator shafts.
29. On Same Level - Fall to the same level or walkway; does not include falling as a result of liquid or grease spills.
30. Slipped; Did Not Fall - Slipped but regained balance and did not come in contact with the floor or ground.
31. Fall, Slip, Trip, NOC - Includes tripping over object, slipping on organic material, slip but fall not specified.
32. On Ice or Snow - Fall to same or lower level as a result of slipping on ice or snow.
33. On Stairs - Fall or slip injury caused by falling down stairs, "missed step while going down", falling "up" the stairs, etc.
40. Crash of Water Vehicle - Collision of water vehicle with a fixed object or another water vehicle.
41. Crash of Rail Vehicle -Collision of rail vehicle with a fixed object or another rail vehicle.
45. Collision or Sideswipe with Another- Vehicle Collision occurring when both vehicles are information; does not apply to water or rail vehicles.
46. Collision with a Fixed Object - Collision occurring when one vehicle or another object are stationary; does not apply to water or rail vehicles.
47. Crash of Airplane - Collision of airplane with a fixed object or another airplane.
48. Vehicle Upset - Rollover of vehicle or jackknifed
50. Motor Vehicle, NOC - Injuries due to sudden stop or start. Includes being thrown against interior parts of the vehicle and vehicle contents being thrown against occupants; does not include being struck by a water, rail or motor vehicle.
52. Continual Noise - Injury to ears or hearing due to constant or repetitive noise; cumulative.
53. Twisting - Free bodily motion which imposes stress or strain on some part of body; assumption of un-natural position; also involuntary motions induced by sudden noise, fright or efforts to recover from slips or loss of balance.
54. Jumping - Injury occurs as a result of jumping or leaping; does not include injuries as a result of landing on the ground. Does not include injuries resulting from a fall. Applies if injury occurs from an upward springing motion.
55. Holding or Carrying - Applies to objects or people. Includes "restraining a person". Does not include "struck by a person".
56. Lifting - Applies to objects or people.
57. Pushing or Pulling - Applies to objects or people.
58. Reaching - Injury resulting from reaching up, down, out, or across to retrieve an object or a person.
59. Using Tool or Machinery - Sudden overexertion while using a tool or a machine.
60. Strain or Injury by, NOC - Injury resulting in a strain where cause is unknown or Not Otherwise Classified.
61. Wielding or Throwing - Excessive physical effort resulting in overexertion may result from attempts to resist a force applied by an object being handled.
97. Repetitive Motion - Cumulative injury or condition caused by continual, repeated motions; strain by excessive use.Carpal Tunnel.
NOTE: Applies to cases in which the injury was produced by the impact created by the person, rather than by the source. Does not include cuts or strains. Includes bruises and rubbed or abraded by, in which case the injury is caused by pressure, vibration, or friction between the person and the source.
65. Moving Parts of Machine
66. Object Being Lifted or Handled
67. Sanding, Scraping, Cleaning Operations - May include scratches or abrasions caused by sanding, scraping, and cleaning operations.
68. Stationary Object
69. Stepping on Sharp Object
70. Striking Against or Stepping On, NOC- Injuries caused by striking against or stepping on something that is Not Otherwise Classified.
NOTE: Applies to cases in which the injury was produced by the impact created by the source of injury, rather than by the injured person. Does not include foreign body in eye.
74. Fellow Worker, Patient - Struck by co-worker, either on purpose or accidentally; includes being struck by a patient while lifting or moving them. Not in the act of a crime.
75. Falling or Flying Object
76. Hand Tool or Machine in Use
77. Motor Vehicle - Applies when a person is struck by a motor vehicle, including rail vehicles, water vehicles and airplanes.
78. Moving Parts of Machine
79. Object Being Lifted or Handled - Includes dropping object on body part.
80. Object Handled by Others - Includes another person dropping object on injured person's body part.
81. Struck or Injured, NOC - Injury caused by being struck or injured by something that is Not Otherwise Classified. Includes kicked, stabbed, bit, etc.
85. Animal or Insect - Includes bite or sting from a living organism. Includes an allergic reaction to the presence of a dog, cat, etc.
86. Explosion or Flare Back - Rapid expansion, outbreak, bursting or upheaval. Includes explosion of cars, bottles, aerosol cans, buildings, etc. Does not include electrical short circuits ("blown fuses"). "Flare Back" involves superheated air and combustible gases at temperatures just below the ignition temperature. Flare back may have same effects as welder's flash.
94. Repetitive Motion - Caused by repeated rubbing or abrading; applies to non-impact cases in which the injury was produced by pressure, vibration or friction between the person and the source of injury. "Callous, blisters,etc."
95. Rubbed or Abraded, NOC - Caused by a specific incident of rubbing or abrading that is Not Otherwise Classified; includes foreign body in ears.
82. Absorption, Ingestion, Inhalation, NOC - Applies only to non-impact cases in which the injury resulted from inhalation, absorption (skin contact), or ingestion of harmful substances Not Otherwise Classified.
87. Foreign Matter (Body) in Eye (s)
89. Person in Act of a Crime - Specific injury caused as a result of physical contact between injured person and another person in the act of committing a crime; does not include stress or psychological trauma that develops secondary to physical injuries. Robbery or criminal assault.
90. Other Than Physical Cause of Injury - Stress, shock, or psychological trauma that develops in relation to a specific incident or cumulative exposure to conditions.
98. Cumulative, NOC - Involves cases in which the cause of injury occurred over a period of time; any condition increasing inseverity over time, Not Otherwise Classified.
99. Other-Miscellaneous, NOC - Any injury or condition that does not apply or is Not Otherwise Classified in other categories; includes specific injury to ears/hearing, etc.