Definitions for Part of Body Codes
10. Multiple Head Injury -Any combination of brain, scalp, skull with or without ears, eyes, nose, mouth, teeth, face, or neck. Includes Head - Not Otherwise Classified.
11. Skull -Cranial bones
12. Brain -Includes brain concussion; brain damage.
13. Ear(s)- Includes inner and outer ear, eardrum, hearing and loss of hearing.
14. Eye(s)- Includes optic nerves, vision, loss of vision, and eyelids.
15. Nose- Includes nasal passages, sinus and sense of smell.
16. Teeth -Does not include gums or false teeth
17. Mouth- Includes tongue, gums, lips, throat, and sense of taste. Does not include teeth.
18. Soft Tissue- Pertaining to cuts and bruises; includes cheek, eyebrow, forehead, and scalp.
19. Facial Bones- Pertaining to fractures of facial bones, not the skull. Includes jaw and chin.
20. Multiple Neck Injury- Any combination of vertebrae, disc, spinal cord or soft tissue in neck. Also, Neck - Not Otherwise Classified.
21. Vertebrae- Spinal column bone in the neck, includes the first seven bones of the spinal column (cervical vertebrae).
22. Disc- Spinal column cartilage in the neck; "cervical segment".
23. Spinal Cord -Nerve tissue in the neck; "cervical segment." contained in the vertebral column.
24. Larynx- "Voice box", includes loss of voice, cartilage, and vocal chords.
25. Soft Tissue- Soft tissue in the neck area (internal) other than the larynx or trachea.
26. Trachea- Cartilage tube leading from the larynx to the bronchial tubes.
III. UPPER EXTREMITIES
30. Multiple Upper Extremities- Any combination of arm, elbow, or fingers. Also, Arm - Not Otherwise Classified. Does not include a specific wrist & hand combination.
31. Upper Arm(s)- Arm between elbow and shoulder. Does not include shoulder, clavicle (collarbone), scapula (shoulder blade) or rotator cuff.
32. Elbow(s)-Joint between the upper arm and the forearm; "radial head".
33. Lower Arm(s)- Between the elbow and the wrist. Includes radius, ulna, and corresponding muscles.
34. Wrist(s)- Joint of the hand and the forearm. Includes carpals and corresponding muscles.
35. Hand(s)- Does not include the wrist or fingers. Includes metacarpal bones, top of hand, the palm, and corresponding muscles. Use for any injury described as "between the fingers".
36. Finger(s)- Includes fingernail(s). Other than thumb and corresponding muscles.
37. Thumb(s)- Includes thumbnail(s)
38. Shoulder(s)- Junction of clavicle & scapula where arm meets trunk; includes rotator cuff, collarbone, shoulder blade, and trapezius.
39. Wrist(s) & Hand(s)- Specific injury or Occupational Disease where both the Wrist(s) and Hand(s) are involved.
40. Multiple Trunk- Any combination of hip, abdomen, chest, back, and shoulder. Also, Trunk - Not Otherwise Classified. Includes "side".
41. Upper Back Area- Thoracic area, includes vertebrae and muscle pull or ligament strain.
42. Low Back Area- Lumbar and lumbo-sacral areas, includes muscle pull or ligament strain; use when description does not differentiate between upper and lower back, i.e., "back". Does not include lumbar, sacral vertebrae, coccyx, pelvis, disc, and spinal cord.
43. Disc- Spinal column cartilage in the back.
44. Chest- Includes ribs, sternum (breastbone), soft tissue and "chest pain"; does not include heart or lungs.
45. Sacrum and Coccyx- Posterior boundary of pelvis and base of vertebral column (tailbone). Final nine vertebrae-fused.
46. Pelvis-Bone structure formed by innominate (nameless) bones and the ligament uniting them.
47. Spinal Cord- Nerve tissue in the vertebral column.
48. Internal Organs- Other than heart and lungs.
49. Heart- Use in cases of heart attack, congestive heart failure.
60. Lungs- Specific injury or condition affecting the lungs only.
61. Abdomen Including Groin- Specific injury to specific parts only; includes stomach, lower esophagus, groin, small or large intestines, liver, gall bladder, spleen, pancreas, kidneys, and appendix. Do not use if functioning of entire body system is affected (INTERNAL ORGANS).
62. Buttocks- External posterior of pelvis & hip area. Soft Tissue.
63. Lumbar and/or Sacral Vertebrae- Vertebrae of the Lumbar and/or Sacral areas; also includes vertebrae in trunk area that are Not Otherwise Classified.
V. LOWER EXTREMITIES
50. Multiple Lower Extremities- Any combination of leg, hip, thigh, knee, ankle, foot and toe. Also, Leg - Not Otherwise Classified.
51. Hip(s)- Upper part of thigh formed by femur and innominate (nameless) bones. The region on each side of pelvis; does not include buttocks or "side".
52. Upper Leg(s)- Between knee and hip; part of thigh below hip. Femur and corresponding muscle.
53. Knee(s)- Includes the patella (kneecap) and supporting ligaments.
54. Lower Leg(s)- Above the ankle, below the knee. Tibia, fibula, and corresponding muscles.
55. Ankle(s)- Joint between the leg and the foot. Tarsals.
56. Foot/Feet- Includes the heel, metatarsal, Achilles tendon, and corresponding muscles. Use for any injury described as "between the toes". Does not include the ankle or the toes.
57. Toe(s)- Includes toenail(s)
58. Great Toe(s)-Large toe (s)
VI. MULTIPLE BODY PARTS
64. Artificial Appliance- Damage to a device that is used to augment performance of a natural function, i.e. hearing aid, eyeglasses, dentures, artificial limbs, braces, etc.
65. Insufficient Info to Properly Identify-Unclassified- Applies when Specific Part of Body is not identified or known.
66. No Physical Injury- Applies when Specific Part of Body is stated as "No Injury". Mental Disorder.
90. Multiple Body Parts- Applies when more than one major body part has been affected, such as an arm and a leg.
91. Body Systems & Multiple Body Systems- Applies when one or more body systems have been affected, i.e. circulatory and/or respiratory systems. Includes fatality, paralysis, electrocution, electrical shock, forms of infectious or parasitic illnesses, such as scabies, ticks, chicken pox, shingles, etc. Applies when the functioning of an entire body system has been affected without specific injury to any other part, as in the case of poisoning, corrosive action affecting internal organs, insect bites resulting in an allergic reaction, damage to nerve centers, stress, etc. Also includes fatality, NOC.