State Prevailing Wage Rates
Prevailing Wage Survey
Frequently Asked Questions
THE FOLLOWING ARE ANSWERS TO FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS. THESE RESPONSES ARE TO SPECIFIC QUESTIONS BASED ON THE FACTS AS WE UNDERSTAND THEM, AND NOT INTENDED TO APPLY TO ANY OTHER SITUATIONS. THIS IS PROVIDED FOR THE PURPOSE OF GENERAL INFORMATION AND SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS LEGAL ADVICE OR EXHAUSTIVE COVERAGE OF THE TOPIC.
1) Should I fill out the survey form if I didn’t work on any Prevailing Wage jobs?
Yes, please fill out the survey for all commercial and public work during your peak month of employment. Please do not submit any information for work at private residences. It you only worked on private residential jobs, please note that and return the survey in the enclosed self-addressed stamped envelope or call the Labor Standards Bureau, Wage & Hour Unit at (406) 444-5600.
2) I have reviewed your list of occupations and I have an occupation that is not listed. Should I write in the occupation and its wages and benefit information?
No, please only fill out our survey for the occupations on the enclosed list.
3) How should I classify a plumber or carpenter helper?
We do not set rates for specific helper occupations so this information is not needed. Please fill out the survey for only those working at the journey level. However, if the worker is doing general labor type work, the worker should be classified as a General Laborer.
4) My workers performed commercial work at different locations, should I separate them out?
Yes, please use the map on the back of the cover letter to determine the district(s) where you had jobs and report work performed at each district on a separate page.
5) Under the Health and Welfare section, should I include health insurance payments the employee makes for their family members?
Please only provide the amount you pay towards the employee’s health insurance.
6) Should I include bonuses and overtime in reporting the employee’s hourly rate?
No, please only provide the employee’s base pay rate for the hourly rate.
7) Can I phone or fax my information in?
You may call (406) 444-5600 with your information, or you may fax it to (406) 444-7071.
8) How will my information be used?
Your information will only be used to set Montana Prevailing Wage rates.
9) How can I obtain Montana Prevailing Wage Rate information?
It can be obtained from the Labor Standards Bureau, Wage & Hour Unit at (406) 444-5600 or at the DLI website.