Frequently Asked Questions - Home Inspector Registration

Registration and Testing

No. The law does not provide a "grandfather clause" allowing automatic registration for existing home inspectors.

No. The law does not allow experience to substitute for the required examination or formal education requirements.

Yes, the Department will accept documentary proof of the passage of a certification examination, regardless of how long ago the exam was taken, provided that the examination was from a recognized testing organization, or the predecessor in interest to a recognized organization.

No. The law does not allow education via mentorship to substitute for completion of a formal educational program.

Insurance Requirements

No. The purpose of the insurance requirements is to protect the public and the parties to a home-buying transaction.

Renewal of Registration

Approximately 60 days before your registration expires, the Department will mail you a renewal application to the mailing address that you last provided. You will need to complete the application, pay the $80 application renewal fee, and submit any required documentation.

Not at this time. You must submit an application by mail to Department of Labor and Industry, PO Box 8011, Helena, MT 59601 or by email to

Yes, you may still renew but there may be a lapse in effective dates.

Continuing Education

Yes, in order to renew a registration, each individual home inspector covered by the registration must earn 40 hours of continuing education relevant to home inspection over a two year period. Evidence of satisfying this requirement must be submitted in order to renew the registration.

You must submit documentation that demonstrates you satisfied the course requirements – (i.e. a certificate of completion, a transcript from your association, etc.)

The Department recognizes continuing education courses offered or recognized by:

  • American Society of Home Inspectors (ASHI)
  • International Association of Certified Home Inspectors (InterNACHI)
  • Two or more states that require continuing education for Home Inspectors.

Consumer Complaints

There are several ways that the Home Inspector Registration program provides protection for consumers and the public. First, the program provides public information about who is authorized to conduct home inspection services in the state of Montana. Second, the program requires minimum levels of insurance for the protection of consumers and the public. Third, the program provides for a minimum standard of knowledge about home inspection and requires on-going continuing education for home inspectors. Finally, the program provides an way for the Department to take civil action through fines and other legal measures against certain kinds of false advertising by home inspectors.

No. The Department does not have the legal authority to handle consumer complaints about work performed by home inspectors. Consumers have legal recourse for complaints about home inspectors through the court system in a private lawsuit for money damages.

Fines and Penalties

Yes, failure to register can result in a fine of up to $1000. Use of a false name or identity can result in a fine of up to $5000. In addition, the Department may take other enforcement action against the party for violating Title 39, Chapter 9, MCA.


You may reinstate your Home Inspector Registration by submitting a request in writing along with a $40 reinstatement fee. You must also resolve the original issue that caused your registration to be suspended.

Changes to Registration

You may submit changes in writing to You are not required to pay a fee to update information on your registration.

Back To Top