Independent Contractor Central Unit (ICCU)
- Issuance of Independent Contractor Exemption Certificate (ICEC) to independent contractors in their own independently established businesses that have elected to not cover themselves under a Montana workers’ compensation insurance policy.
- Determination of worker relationship statuses (independent contractor or employee) at the request of participating programs.
Construction Contractor Registration Unit (CR)
- Issuance of Construction Contractor Registration (CR) to contractors in the construction industry that have employees, are corporations, and are manager-managed limited liability companies.
- To ensure all construction contractors, especially those with employees, are paying Montana’s rates for workers’ compensation insurance.
Click on the links located on the right side of this page to:
- Find information regarding the Independent Contractor Central Unit and/or Construction Contractor Registration Unit.
- Review the Administrative Rules of Montana, the Montana Codes Annotated, Frequently Asked Questions, and Contact Information for both programs.
- Search for independent contractors with a valid or revoked ICEC
- Search for construction contractors with a valid or suspended CR
- Look up a current Workers’ Compensation policy
- Find application forms to obtain an ICEC or CR
- View our brochures with helpful information
- Get agency contact information for other state and city government compliance
Events and Notices
2015 Highway Petition Meeting Notice
• Just because an independent contractor or construction contractor is registered with our Department does not mean that they are licensed, bonded, or tested.
• Registrations only ensure applicants are in compliance with Montana's workers' compensation laws and do not imply quality assurance.
• We participate in several home shows around the state. If you would like us to come to your area please contact us.
• We are also available for meetings and educational presentations.
• Your organization may request up to a quantity of 50 brochures to be mailed or picked up.
• If you have any suggestions to help us improve what we do, please let us know.
Independent Contractor Central Unit - (406) 444-9029
Construction Contractor Registration Unit - (406) 444-0563
Supervisor/ Program Manager - Dallas Cox - (406) 444-9586
If you are not in the Helena area and need to speak to someone in person for assistance, please visit your local Job Service Workforce Center.
Construction Contractor Registration Unit and/or
Independent Contractor Central Unit
PO Box 8011
Helena, MT 59604-8011
Physical Location (in Helena for overnight mailing and same day processing for walk-in customers):
1805 Prospect Ave
Helena, MT 59601
Monday, July 28, 2014