Montana Contractor

​The Independent Contractor Central Unit is responsible for:

  • Issuance of an Independent Contractor Exemption Certificate to independent contractors who are independently established in their own business and have elected to not cover themselves under a Montana workers​’ compensation insurance policy.
  • Decisions regarding employment relationship statuses, independent contractor or employee, at the request of participating agencies.
  • Review our frequently asked questions for questions regarding the Independent Contractor Exemption Certificate.

The Construction Contractor Registration Unit is responsible for:

  • Issuance of a Construction Contractor Registration to contractors in the construction industry that have employees, are corporations, and are manager-managed limited liability companies.
  • Ensuring all construction contractors, especially those with employees, are paying Montana’s rates for workers’ compensation insurance.
  • Review our frequently asked questions for questions regarding the Construction Contractor Registration.

Description of Related Links

  • Agency and Business Contacts for Businesses; for common steps, with contact information, to consider when establishing a business in Montana.
  • Applications and Forms - ICEC and CR; to find forms to obtain an Independent Contractor Exemption Certification and Construction Contractor Registration.
  • Construction Contractor Registration Unit; to learn more about becoming or hiring a registered contractor, and review the administrative rules and laws for construction contractors.
  • CR Search; for searching businesses with a valid or suspended Construction Contractor Registration.
  • Home Shows and Events; to find home show and event information to visit our educational booth.
  • ICEC Search; for searching individuals with a valid or revoked Independent Contractor Exemption Certificate.
  • Independent Contractor Central Unit; to learn more about becoming or hiring an independent contractor, and review the administrative rules and laws for independent contractors.
  • NASCLA Website; National Association of State Contractors Licensing Agencies to verify other states’ licensing requirements and regulations.
  • Online Payment; to make an online credit card payment for your Independent Contractor Exemption Certificate and Construction Contractor Registration application.
  • WC Coverage Verification; for searching valid Montana workers’ compensation insurance policies.
  • You may verify professional or occupational licensing for your contractor by searching for a professional license.


  • Just because an independent contractor or construction contractor is registered with our Department does not mean that they are licensed, bonded, or tested.
  • Registrations only ensure applicants are in compliance with Montana's workers' compensation laws and do not imply quality assurance.

Additional Information

  • We participate in several home shows around the state. If you would like us to visit your area, please contact us.
  • We are also available for meetings and educational presentations.
  • Your organization may request up to a quantity of 50 brochures to be mailed or picked up.
  • If you have any suggestions to help us improve what we do, please let us know.

Contact Information

PO Box 8011
Helena, MT  59604-8011

  • Physical Location (for overnight mailing with FED-EX or UPS and walk-in customers, same day processing not guaranteed):

1805 Prospect Ave
Helena, MT  59601​

  • If you are not in the Helena area and need to speak to someone in person for assistance, please visit your local Job Service.