Montana Contractor

The Independent Contractor Central Unit is responsible for:

  • Issuance of an Independent Contractor Exemption Certificate to independent contractors who are independently established in their own business and have elected to not cover themselves under a Montana workers’ compensation insurance policy.
  • Decisions regarding employment relationship statuses, independent contractor or employee, at the request of participating agencies.

Review our frequently asked questions for questions regarding the Independent Contractor Exemption Certificate.

The Construction Contractor Registration Unit is responsible for:

  • Issuance of a Construction Contractor Registration to contractors in the construction industry that have employees, are corporations, and are manager-managed limited liability companies.
  • Ensuring all construction contractors, especially those with employees, are paying Montana’s rates for workers’ compensation insurance.

Review our frequently asked questions for questions regarding the Construction Contractor Registration.

Notice of Changes to the Construction Contractor Registration

Effective April 14, 2018, the application fee for the Construction Contractor Registration application will increase from $53 to $70.

Description of Related Links

  • Agency and Business Contacts for Businesses: steps to consider when establishing a business in Montana.
  • Applications and Forms - ICEC and CR: find forms to obtain an Independent Contractor Exemption Certification and Construction Contractor Registration.
  • Construction Contractor Registration Unit: learn more about becoming or hiring a registered contractor; and review the administrative rules and laws for construction contractors.
  • CR Search: search for businesses with a valid or suspended Construction Contractor Registration.
  • Home Shows and Events: find home show and event information to visit us at our educational booth.
  • ICEC Search: search for individuals with a valid or revoked Independent Contractor Exemption Certificate.
  • Independent Contractor Central Unit: learn more about becoming or hiring an independent contractor; and review the administrative rules and laws for independent contractors.
  • NASCLA Website: National Association of State Contractors Licensing Agencies to verify other states’ licensing requirements and regulations.
  • Online Payment: make an online credit card payment for your Independent Contractor Exemption Certificate and Construction Contractor Registration application.
  • WC Coverage Verification: search for valid Montana workers’ compensation insurance policies.
  • You may verify professional or occupational licensing for your contractor by searching for a professional license.


Just because an independent contractor or construction contractor is registered with our Department does not mean that they are licensed, bonded, or tested. Registrations only ensure applicants are in compliance with Montana's workers' compensation laws and do not imply quality assurance.

Additional Information

We participate in several home shows around the state. If you would like us to visit your area, please contact us. We are also available for meetings and educational presentations. Your organization may request up to a quantity of 50 brochures to be mailed or picked up. If you have any suggestions to help us improve what we do, please let us know.

Contact Information

Supervisor | Program Manager - Dallas Cox: (406) 444-9586
Mailing Address:
PO Box 8011
Helena, MT 59604
Physical Location (for overnight mailing with FED-EX or UPS and walk-in customers, same day processing not guaranteed):
1805 Prospect Ave (2nd floor east side)
Helena, MT 59601
If you need additional assistance, you may contact a field representative in your area:
Billings | Steve Hurd: (406) 247-1047
Butte | Margie Woods: (406) 494-0308
Great Falls | Charlie Kolar: (406) 727-0305
Helena | Yvonne Crawford: (406) 444-9587
Kalispell | Don Cirino: (406) 257-5785
Missoula | Gary Palmer: (406) 329-1482