- Issuance of Independent Contractor Exemption Certificate (ICEC) to independent contractors in their own independently established businesses that have elected to not cover themselves under a Montana workers’ compensation insurance policy.
- Determination of worker relationship statuses (independent contractor or employee) at the request of participating programs.
- Click here for answers to frequently asked questions regarding the ICEC.
- Issuance of Construction Contractor Registration (CR) to contractors in the construction industry that have employees, are corporations, and are manager-managed limited liability companies.
- To ensure all construction contractors, especially those with employees, are paying Montana’s rates for workers’ compensation insurance.
- Click here for answers to frequently asked questions regarding the CR.
**PLEASE CLICK HERE TO MAKE AN ONLINE PAYMENT FOR YOUR ICEC AND/OR CR APPLICATION FEES**
Click on the links located on the right side of this page to:
- Find information regarding the Independent Contractor Central Unit and/or Construction Contractor Registration Unit.
- Review the Administrative Rules of Montana, the Montana Codes Annotated, Frequently Asked Questions, and Contact Information for both programs.
- Find application forms to obtain an ICEC or CR
- Pay your application fees by credit card
- Search for independent contractors with a valid or revoked ICEC
- Search for construction contractors with a valid or suspended CR
- Look up a current Workers’ Compensation policy
- View our brochures with helpful information
- Check out the dates, times, and locations you may find us attending a homeshow or event
- Get agency contact information for other state and city government compliance
- Just because an independent contractor or construction contractor is registered with our Department does not mean that they are licensed, bonded, or tested.
- You may verify professional or occupational licensing for your contractor by searching for a licensee here. For all other state's licensing requirements, you may visit NASCLA's website to be directed to those state's resources.
- Registrations only ensure applicants are in compliance with Montana's workers' compensation laws and do not imply quality assurance.
- We participate in several home shows around the state. If you would like us to visit your area please contact us.
- We are also available for meetings and educational presentations.
- Your organization may request up to a quantity of 50 brochures to be mailed or picked up.
- If you have any suggestions to help us improve what we do, please let us know.
- Independent Contractor Central Unit - (406) 444-9029
- Construction Contractor Registration Unit - (406) 444-0563
- Supervisor/ Program Manager - Dallas Cox - (406) 444-9586
- If you are not in the Helena area and need to speak to someone in person for assistance, please visit your local Job Service.
- Mailing Address:
Construction Contractor Registration Unit and/or
Independent Contractor Central Unit
PO Box 8011
Helena, MT 59604-8011
- Physical Location (for overnight mailing and walk-in customers, same day processing not guaranteed):
1805 Prospect Ave
Helena, MT 59601