Montana Contractor

Independent Contractor Central Unit (ICCU)

  • Issuance of Independent Contractor Exemption Certificate (ICEC) to independent contractors in their own independently established businesses that have elected to not cover themselves under a Montana workers​’ compensation insurance policy.
  • Determination of worker relationship statuses (independent contractor or employee) at the request of participating programs.
  • Check out our frequently asked questions regarding the ICEC program.

Construction Contractor Registration Unit (CR)

  • Issuance of Construction Contractor Registration (CR) to contractors in the construction industry that have employees, are corporations, and are manager-managed limited liability companies.
  • To ensure all construction contractors, especially those with employees, are paying Montana’s rates for workers’ compensation insurance.
  • Check out our frequently asked questions regarding the CR program.

Click on the links located on the right side of this page to:

  • Find information regarding the Independent Contractor Central Unit and/or Construction Contractor Registration Unit.
    • Review the Administrative Rules of Montana, the Montana Codes Annotated, Frequently Asked Questions, and Contact Information for both programs.
  • Find application forms to obtain an ICEC or CR
  • Pay your application fees by credit card
  • Search for independent contractors with a valid or revoked ICEC
  • Search for construction contractors with a valid or suspended CR
  • Look up a vlaid and current Montana workers’ compensation policy
  • View our brochures with helpful information
  • Check out the dates, times, and locations you may find us attending a homeshow or event
  • Get agency contact information for other state and city government compliance


  • Just because an independent contractor or construction contractor is registered with our Department does not mean that they are licensed, bonded, or tested.
  • You may verify professional or occupational licensing for your contractor by searching for a professional license. For all other state's licensing requirements, you may visit NASCLA's website to be directed to those state's resources.
  • Registrations only ensure applicants are in compliance with Montana's workers' compensation laws and do not imply quality assurance.

Additional Information

  • We participate in several home shows around the state. If you would like us to visit your area please contact us.
  • We are also available for meetings and educational presentations.
  • Your organization may request up to a quantity of 50 brochures to be mailed or picked up.
  • If you have any suggestions to help us improve what we do, please let us know.

Contact Information

  • Independent Contractor Central Unit - (406) 444-9029
  • Construction Contractor Registration Unit - (406) 444-0563
  • Supervisor/ Program Manager - Dallas Cox - (406) 444-9586
  • If you are not in the Helena area and need to speak to someone in person for assistance, please visit your local Job Service.
  • Mailing Address:

Construction Contractor Registration Unit and/or
Independent Contractor Central Unit
PO Box 8011
Helena, MT  59604-8011

  • Physical Location (for overnight mailing and walk-in customers, same day processing not guaranteed):

1805 Prospect Ave
Helena, MT  59601​