Department of Labor and Industry

Independent Contractor Central Unit

What is an independent contractor exemption?

What is an independent contractor exemption?

Montana workers are required by law to either be insured under a workers' compensation policy, or they may apply for the Independent Contractor Exemption Certificate (ICEC). A person with an ICEC states the occupation they are exempt under. They swear on the affidavit application they are free from control, and they document to the Montana Department of Labor and Industry (DLI) that they are the owner of an independently established business for each occupation applied for.

Persons who choose to apply, must completely fill out the application and waiver provided by the DLI, swear under oath to the truth and accuracy of their statements, and have their signature notarized. The application & waiver along with the business documentation and a $125 fee is required for processing. The ICEC is effective for a two-year period.

The department can be reached at (406) 444-9029, and forms are available at local Job Service offices, or click here.