The Montana Department of Labor & Industry’s Safety and Health Bureau is dedicated to help improve safety and health in the workplace and for Montana’s small businesses. The Bureau is made up of four sections: Compliance, Consultation, Mine, & Outreach.
The Compliance Section has jurisdiction over public sector employment safety, which includes State, County and City workers. Our goal is to ensure that each public employer provides a safe work environment for their employees and adhere to the requirements of the Montana Safety Culture Act (MSCA) and OSHA regulations. The Compliance Section performs workplace inspections, accident investigations and responds to safety complaints. They are required to issue a compliance report that identifies any deficiencies of the MSCA or safety hazards found during an inspection. Additionally, they have the authority to issue a temporary stop work order and fines if necessary.
The Compliance Unit currently enforces the following two elements of the Montana Safety Culture Act as serious Violations:
- 39-71-1505 (ii) Job or task specific training; and
- 39-71-1505 (iii) b Periodic hazard assessment, with corrective actions identified
Compliance Emphasis Beginning January 1, 2019
Beginning January 1, 2019, the Unit will incorporate three additional elements of the MSCA into it's emphasis program. The additional elements include:
- 39-71-1505(1)(a)(i) requires that employers provide a documented new employee general safety orientation;
- 39-71-1505(2) requires that an employer of more than five employees to have a comprehensive and effective safety program, including but not limited to:
- a safety committee composed of equal representation of employee and employer representatives that hold regularly scheduled meetings, at least every four months.
- procedures of reporting and investigating all work-related incidents, accidents, injuries, and illnesses.
If you work for a public sector entity and would like to report an unsafe workplace please call (406) 444-6401.
The Consultation Program provides on-site consultation services to both private and public sector; this includes small companies, city, county, and state entities. The goal is to help identify and correct safety and health hazards to reduce potential accidents, injuries, and monetary penalties from regulatory bodies. Consultations are confidential, conducted at no charge, and can include any of the following:
• Walk-through survey: safety and/or health
• Safety and health program assessment
• Industrial hygiene sampling (noise, dust, volatile organic compounds (VOCs), etc.)
• Technical assistance
• SHARP participation
To request a consultation call (406) 494-0324 or via email at: Free Safety Consultation Request
The Mine Section provides scheduled mine safety training and is responsible for workplace safety and health compliance in coal mines and sand and gravel operations. Click on the Mine Safety & Health Link to see the types of training available and the training schedule.
To contact the Mine Section call (406) 444-6401.
The Outreach Section provides free OHSA 10-Hour Training in Construction and General Industry in high schools and colleges across the state. In addition, the Outreach Section also partners with Job Service Offices across the state to provide classes to Montana’s business community.
SafetyFestMT is largest outreach effort by the Department of Labor & Industry. There are four events throughout the year in different locations throughout Montana. These events are free for participants and geared to meet the needs of the communities their held in. To learn more about SafetyFest visit safetyfestmt.com.
Safety & Health Bureau Chief
Bryan Page (email@example.com or 406-444-1605)
Compliance/Mine Unit Supervisor
Jerry Laughery (firstname.lastname@example.org or 406-444-1797)
Consultation Unit Supervisor
Tiffany Ott (email@example.com or 406-490-2331)
Outreach Unit Supervisor
Casey Kyler-West (firstname.lastname@example.org or 406-444-5267)
Helena - Lana Cooper (email@example.com or 406-444-6401)
Butte - Meaghan Shone (firstname.lastname@example.org or 406-494-0324)